• Our Impact
  • Whistleblower
  • Fact-Check Ghana
Donate
The Fourth Estate
  • Home
  • General News
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Environment
  • Human Rights
  • Our Impact
    • Honours
  • Opinions
FourthEstate FourthEstate
  • Our Impact
  • Whistleblower
  • Fact-Check Ghana
Search
  • Home
  • General News
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Environment
  • Human Rights
  • Our Impact
    • Honours
  • Opinions
© 2024 | The Fourth Estate
Anti-Corruption

Special Prosecutor to announce conclusion on sacked PPA boss’ case, two others, soon

By Edwin Appiah Date: February 14, 2022
aba
AB Adjei was dismissed as the CEO of the Public Procurement Authority (PPA) in 2020 for his role in the "Contracts for Sale" scandal.
SHARE

The Special Prosecutor, Kissi Agyebeng, says his office will announce the conclusion and further actions to be taken on three corruption-related cases soon.

The three are among 45 corruption cases that are being investigated by the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP).

In a statement to the media, the country’s chief anti-graft prosecutor said a determination of prosecution or otherwise would be announced “in the coming weeks.”

- Advertisement -

The lineup of cases is 14 more than the 31 cases the Special Prosecutor announced he was investigating as of December last year.

While not listing all the cases, he gave a sneak-peek into three of them. The most prominent one is the dismissed Chief Executive Officer of Public Procurement Authority (PPA), Adjenim Boateng Adjei, whose company were found to be selling government contracts.

Manasseh Azure Awuni’s investigation titled “Contracts for Sale” revealed that a company, Talent Discovery Ltd, belonging to A.B Adjei, was winning contracts worth millions. These contracts were awarded by state agencies under the single-source and restrictive tendering methods.

The methods of awarding these contracts were approved by the PPA, which was headed by A.B. Adjei, whose company eventually won the contracts and sold them.

- Advertisement -

In the documentary “Contracts for Sale” documentary, Mr. Adjei is heard admitting that he formed the company with his brother-in-law, Mr. Francis Arhin.

The investigations led to his suspension and an eventual sack in October 2020 after the Commission for Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) report recommended his dismissal and further investigations. CHRAJ also placed a five-year ban on him from holding public office.

The Commission also said the former PPA CEO failed to explain his “inordinately large volumes of cash passing through the Bank Accounts” which was “far more than his known income”.

Since his sack 15 months ago, little has been heard about possible prosecution, raising concerns about the state’s commitment to the fight against corruption.

The fears heightened following the resignation of Ghana’s first Special Prosecutor, Martin Amidu, who cited political interference.

But Amidu’s replacement, Kissi Agyebeng’s press statement revives public interest in one of the high-profile corruption cases in the Akufo-Addo era.

- Advertisement -
kissi
Kissi Agyabeng is Ghana’s second Special Prosecutor

Kissi Agyebeng also mentioned two other cases expected to feature in the list of 45 cases that could go to trial.

The MCE nominee for the Juaben Municipal Assembly, Alex Sarfo Kantanka, who demanded the refund of bribes he paid to assembly members to influence the process of his confirmation, is one of such cases.

The third case involves evasion and valuation of duties on frozen and processed foods involving LaBianca Company Ltd and top officials at the Ghana Revenue Authority.

In his first shot at work, the Special Prosecutor discontinued a suit brought against the Member of Parliament (MP) for Bawku Central, Mahama Ayariga, who was accused of using public office for private gain.

Mr Agyabeng cited the lack of evidence to successfully prosecute the case as the reason for withdrawing the state’s interest in prosecuting it.

The office of Special Prosecutor is a creation by President Akufo-Addo’s government in fulfilment of an election promise he made in 2016 to fight political corruption.

TAGGED:AB Adjeianti-corruptioncontracts for salespecial prosecutor
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Email
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

LATEST STORIES

IMG 4535
Supreme Court dismisses Gifty Oware-Mensah’s pleading to halt her trial at the High Court
gifty
NSS Ghost Name Scandal: Court admits NSS-ADB agreement in case against Gifty Oware-Mensah
circle dubai promo featured image
Circle Dubai: When the Past was Brighter
daughter
NSS Ghost Names Scandal: Osei Assibey Antwi asks Court to unfreeze daughter’s accounts
WhatsApp Image 2026 05 13 at 16.21.44
Gold Rush: Inside headwater Atewa, the source facing a slow, avoidable death 

You Might Also Like

Uncover the stories that related to the post
Big push 1
Anti-CorruptionOur Impact

Engineers petition Auditor-General to audit Big Push road contracts after The Fourth Estate’s report

maham and nss 1
Anti-CorruptionOur Impact

NSS Scandal: Gov’t suspends national service digital system after The Fourth Estate exposé

Special Prosecutor freezes assets of Sir John

banner
Anti-Corruption

NSS Scandal: A-G to prosecute 12 over GH¢548m ghost names fraud after The Fourth Estate exposé

Journalism That Serves The People’s Interest

Sign up for The Fourth Estate’s newsletter and get our latest stories delivered straight to your inbox.

The Fourth Estate

The Fourth Estate is a non-profit, public interest and accountability investigative journalism project of the Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA). Our aim is to promote independent and critical research-based journalism that holds those in power answerable to the people they govern.

Latest Stories

Supreme Court dismisses Gifty Oware-Mensah’s pleading to halt her trial at the High Court
NSS Ghost Name Scandal: Court admits NSS-ADB agreement in case against Gifty Oware-Mensah
Circle Dubai: When the Past was Brighter
NSS Ghost Names Scandal: Osei Assibey Antwi asks Court to unfreeze daughter’s accounts

Quick Links

  • About The Fourth Estate
  • MFWA.org
  • Honours
  • Privacy & Terms of Use

© 2025 | The Fourth Estate – A Project of the Media Foundation of West Africa