• Our Impact
  • Whistleblower
  • Fact-Check Ghana
Donate
The Fourth Estate
  • Home
  • General News
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Environment
  • Human Rights
  • Our Impact
    • Honours
  • Opinions
FourthEstate FourthEstate
  • Our Impact
  • Whistleblower
  • Fact-Check Ghana
Search
  • Home
  • General News
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Environment
  • Human Rights
  • Our Impact
    • Honours
  • Opinions
© 2024 | The Fourth Estate
Anti-Corruption

Special Prosecutor questions Jubilee House official and others over NDA scandal

By Paul Gozo Date: July 26, 2022
kissi
Kissi Agyabeng is Ghana's second Special Prosecutor
SHARE

The Office of the Special prosecutor has invited the Coordinator for Special Initiatives at the Jubilee House and officials of the Northern Development Authority (NDA) for questioning over NDA’s contract with A&Qs Consortium. The OSP also questioned officials of the company.

The questioning is in respect of a contract awarded by the NDA to A&Qs Consortium for consultancy services under the Infrastructure for Poverty Eradication Programme (IPEP), “especially in respect of the quantum of contract sum.” The update is contained in a release sighted by The Fourth Estate.

The Special Prosecutor, Kissi Agyebeng, also directed the Controller and Accountant-General to immediately freeze payment arising from the said contract.

- Advertisement -

Mr. Agyebeng further invited the Coordinator for Special Initiatives at the Jubilee House and several serving officers including the Chief Executive and relevant past officers of the NDA and officers of A&Qs Consortium for questioning. Those questioned, according to the press release, have been granted bail.

OSP-invites-Jubilee-house-Official

Background

On January 11, 2022, the former CEO of the Northern Development Authority, Dr. Sulemana Anamzoya, petitioned the Chief of Staff, Akosua Frema Osei-Opare, over a fraudulent deal that had been perpetuated in his name.

- Advertisement -

According to Dr. Anamzoya, his successor, Sumaila Abdul Rahman, falsified figures and forged his (Dr. Anamzoya) signature in a contract.

“Quite recently, my attention has been drawn to a contract purportedly signed by me whiles I was in office as Ag. Chief Executive Officer of the Northern Development Authority (NDA), awarding a Consultancy Service contract to A&Q’s Consortium (A&Q’s) in the sum of ¢10,400,000 under the Infrastructure for Poverty Eradication Programme (IPEP),” parts of his two paged petition, which was copied to President Akufo Addo read.

Dr. Anamzoya agreed that he awarded a contract to A&Qs Consultancy during his tenure, but he denied the contract sum being GHC10,400,000. Dr. Anamzoya said the only contract he awarded to A&Q’s firm while in office was worth GHC 5,720,000.

The former CEO also noted that the Public Procurement Authority (PPA) approved NDA to use single-source procurement to recruit various consultancy services to implement the IPEP programme on January 16, 2020.

“The PPA approval letter provided details of the appointment, the proposed consultants, the number of constituencies per region for each consultant, and the estimated cost per consultant (please find enclosed PPA’s approval letter).”

“On January 28, 2020, with [the] PPA approval, I signed contracts awarding the consultancy services contract to the five consultants who were approved by the PPA,” he stated in the petition.

- Advertisement -

With this approval, Dr Anamzoya said he engaged A&Qs to provide Consultancy Supervision for 11 constituencies in the Upper West Region at an estimated cost of ¢5,720,000.

Yet, Dr. Anamzoya would later find out that the contract sum had ballooned from GHC 5.7 million to GHC 10.4 million.

“Even though the award letter I signed has an amount of ¢5,720,000, I have sighted a doctored version of the award letter which indicates that I purportedly signed a Consultancy Supervision Contract to A&Q’s under the IPEP at the cost of ¢10,400,000 which I vehemently deny as having emanated from me (please find attached the doctored contract document).”

“As evidenced by the doctored contract attached, my signature was transposed on a contract (with a sum of ¢10,400,000), whose numbering does not tally with the remaining pages of the contract.”

Dr. Anamzoya, in his bid to clear his name, told the Chief of Staff and the President, “Whatever the perpetrators’ intent might be, this matter needs urgent attention to expose the perpetrators and punishment meted out to them, but more importantly to clear me of any wrongdoing.”

The Special prosecutor began investigations into the matter when the contents of the letter became public.

Actions of the Special Prosecutor

The Special Prosecutor, on June 23, 2022, wrote to Mr. Sumaila Abdul-Rahman, the current CEO of the NDA.

In that letter, the Special Prosecutor directed the NDA to produce all documents regarding the contract between the Authority and A&Qs Consortium by close of business July 7, 2022.

The Special Prosecutor says all persons deemed culpable for corruption and corruption-related offences will be charged and prosecuted.

TAGGED:ghana newsNDAspecial prosecutor
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Email
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

LATEST STORIES

daughter
NSS Ghost Names Scandal: Osei Assibey Antwi asks Court to unfreeze daughter’s accounts
WhatsApp Image 2026 05 13 at 16.21.44
Gold Rush: Inside headwater Atewa, the source facing a slow, avoidable death 
Gifty Oware Mensah
NSS Scandal: Gifty Oware-Mensah heads to Supreme Court to challenge High Court’s decision
Ayensuadze Locals Fetching Water from Polluted Ayensu River
Gold rush: Galamsey boom sends communities in hunt for water
01000000 0aff 0242 5dd3 08db4b1b0379 w1200 r1
Ghana rises in global press freedom rankings, secures 39th spot

You Might Also Like

Uncover the stories that related to the post
BeFunky collage 2
Anti-Corruption

ASSET DECLARATION: 55 Appointees & Staffers Defy Mahama’s Order.… Will the President go by his words, or it was just empty threat?

JUDGES 1
Anti-Corruption

Asset Declaration: 18 High Court, Court of Appeal judges Flout Law

Government gives over 400 acres of military, other state land to Asantehene

sir-john-property
Our Impact

Corruption Watch, 14 CSOs petition Special Prosecutor, and CHRAJ over Sir John’s will and Achimota Forest

Journalism That Serves The People’s Interest

Sign up for The Fourth Estate’s newsletter and get our latest stories delivered straight to your inbox.

The Fourth Estate

The Fourth Estate is a non-profit, public interest and accountability investigative journalism project of the Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA). Our aim is to promote independent and critical research-based journalism that holds those in power answerable to the people they govern.

Latest Stories

NSS Ghost Names Scandal: Osei Assibey Antwi asks Court to unfreeze daughter’s accounts
Gold Rush: Inside headwater Atewa, the source facing a slow, avoidable death 
NSS Scandal: Gifty Oware-Mensah heads to Supreme Court to challenge High Court’s decision
Gold rush: Galamsey boom sends communities in hunt for water

Quick Links

  • About The Fourth Estate
  • MFWA.org
  • Honours
  • Privacy & Terms of Use

© 2025 | The Fourth Estate – A Project of the Media Foundation of West Africa