• Our Impact
  • Whistleblower
  • Fact-Check Ghana
Donate
The Fourth Estate
  • Home
  • General News
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Environment
  • Human Rights
  • Our Impact
    • Honours
  • Opinions
FourthEstate FourthEstate
  • Our Impact
  • Whistleblower
  • Fact-Check Ghana
Search
  • Home
  • General News
  • Anti-Corruption
  • Environment
  • Human Rights
  • Our Impact
    • Honours
  • Opinions
© 2024 | The Fourth Estate
General News

Minister’s resignation: investigative journalist threatened with shooting, burning

By Seth J. Bokpe Date: December 21, 2021
for adeti
SHARE

Investigative journalist Edward Adeti has been threatened with death threats. The Bolgatanga-based journalist, who recently joined The Fourth Estate, received the death threat when a Facebook post about his move was published.

“This is the worst I have received so far. The faceless texter or texters telling me that I will be shot and burnt as it happened to some police officers in Bolgatanga [Upper East regional capital]. When things like this happen. I quickly think of my family,” he said of his fears.

The text message to The Fourth Estate journalist read:

- Advertisement -

adeti photo 1

 

The Maltaaba Bank is in reference to The Fourth Estate’s expose on illegal deals between officials of the Maltaaba Community Bank and the Bongo District Assembly.

Adeti has received similar threats in the past. In May 2019, the journalist reported a series of death threats to the Bureau of National Investigations after his investigative work forced Rockson Bukari, a Minister of State, to resign on April 29, 2019.

- Advertisement -

Adeti had recorded the minister allegedly trying to bribe him to drop an investigative story.

The investigative story produced in 2018 exposed a compromising relationship between a Chinese mining firm and a judge handling a case involving that firm. The judge at the centre of the scandal, Justice Jacob Boon, eventually recused himself when the case was brought before him at the Bolgatanga High Court Room One on December 17, 2018.

Adeti recalled that one Mubarak, a resident in the Upper East Region, went on Facebook and wrote similar threats that “ I was a fool and would live to regret this.”

He said, since then, the intimidation had been far and in between until last Friday when he received the latest threats.

The Fourth Estate’s checks show that the number is registered in the name of Awine Atiah.

Adeti said he suspected that the person who sent the message was probably working with others because of the word “we” used in the text message he received at 4:52 am.

- Advertisement -

After his resignation, Mr. Bukari was never put to court after the incident.

Adeti, therefore, wondered how a court could exonerate him and added that the latest threat was based on what he described as a false publication on Dreamzfmonline that endangered his life and that of his family.

He has since reported the matter to the police who have invited the management of Dreamz FM for a meeting on Wednesday, December 22, 2021.

For many investigative journalists in Ghana, the brutal killing of investigative journalist Ahmed Suale on January 16, 2019, is a constant reminder that they are endangered.

 

 

 

TAGGED:edward adeti threatGhanaian investigative journalist threatenedInvestigative journalist threatened
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp LinkedIn Telegram Email
Leave a comment Leave a comment
  • Iddrisu Abdul-Basit says:
    December 23, 2021 at 12:12 pm

    Please follow this to its logical conclusion, we can’t take chances. There are few good journalists in Ghana and your outfit is the arguably the most credible source we feed from, we can’t risk to lose a single journalist at your end.

    Reply
  • Abdul Rahman says:
    January 9, 2022 at 2:50 pm

    Is very important your outfits follows this issue to its logical conclusion because Fourth Estate is one of the trustworthy news house where undoubtedly we get credible news from so we can’t afford to lose anybody at your outfit.
    God bless our homeland Ghana ??

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

- Advertisement -

LATEST STORIES

IMG 4535
Supreme Court dismisses Gifty Oware-Mensah’s pleading to halt her trial at the High Court
gifty
NSS Ghost Name Scandal: Court admits NSS-ADB agreement in case against Gifty Oware-Mensah
circle dubai promo featured image
Circle Dubai: When the Past was Brighter
daughter
NSS Ghost Names Scandal: Osei Assibey Antwi asks Court to unfreeze daughter’s accounts
WhatsApp Image 2026 05 13 at 16.21.44
Gold Rush: Inside headwater Atewa, the source facing a slow, avoidable death 

You Might Also Like

Uncover the stories that related to the post
NLA Good causes
General News

NLA Good Causes?  How funds meant for the poor and orphans were blown on awards, galas and the rich

SML and GRA
General News

KPMG not the best to audit shady SML contract — CSO activists

NLA KGL NCA
General News

The Terrible NLA-KGL Deal: NCA directs telecos to release data on KGL transactions

martin
General News

We stand by our demand for $1000 for Right to Information request-Minerals Commission

Journalism That Serves The People’s Interest

Sign up for The Fourth Estate’s newsletter and get our latest stories delivered straight to your inbox.

The Fourth Estate

The Fourth Estate is a non-profit, public interest and accountability investigative journalism project of the Media Foundation for West Africa (MFWA). Our aim is to promote independent and critical research-based journalism that holds those in power answerable to the people they govern.

Latest Stories

Supreme Court dismisses Gifty Oware-Mensah’s pleading to halt her trial at the High Court
NSS Ghost Name Scandal: Court admits NSS-ADB agreement in case against Gifty Oware-Mensah
Circle Dubai: When the Past was Brighter
NSS Ghost Names Scandal: Osei Assibey Antwi asks Court to unfreeze daughter’s accounts

Quick Links

  • About The Fourth Estate
  • MFWA.org
  • Honours
  • Privacy & Terms of Use

© 2025 | The Fourth Estate – A Project of the Media Foundation of West Africa